Disease Does Not Discriminate

Dear Fellow Warrior,

You are sick but it isn't your fault. This can happen to anyone. Right now, you are that anyone.

I know what people have said to you. It has also been said to me. I know it hurts. I know you walk away from the conversation feeling as though that person is right. That one way or another you deserve this or caused this to happen or that you are even causing it to continue.

But what they said is not true. This is not your fault.

Disease does not discriminate.

This did not happen to us because we are negative. This did not happen to us because we don't have enough faith. This did not happen to us because we deserve it. This did not happen to us because we've made mistakes in the past. This did not happen to us because we are imperfect. This did not happen to us because there is something wrong with who we are.

This just happened. And it happened to us.

Just because someone says something does not make it true.

I'm not saying that we are perfect, that we don't experience negative emotions, that stress doesn't enter our lives, that our spirituality has no room for growth, that we don't have undesirable characteristics, etc.

Of course we do.
We all do.

But look around: We are not All sick.

Sometimes the most faithful people we know die of cancer.
Sometimes the most positive people we know never get well.
And sometimes the most intolerant people we know stay perfectly healthy.

You do not deserve to have the people around you blame you for your illness. I wish I could stop that from happening to you. But I can't.

So I'm here to remind you of the truth: This is Not Your Fault. You are a beautiful person. You are loved. You are doing the best you can and you are doing an amazing job, even when it doesn't feel like it. You are sick but there is nothing wrong with who you are. You are just a glorious human being living the life that is unfolding before you, doing the best you can.

Remind yourself as often as you need to that Disease Does Not Discriminate.

And just in case you ever need someone, remember I am here.
You are not alone. 

Comments

  1. I believe in you! You are very loving, very kind, a beautiful person, and this is NOT your fault. Forgive those who say things that hurt....they do not know, they've not walked in your shoes. Forgiveness is a powerful force, it can set you free from a tangled web. I believe in you, I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment