Frustration Part 2: Neurology

Sometimes I have the worst luck. Maybe luck isn't the right word. But whatever is the right word things have a way of working out in unexpected and somewhat unpleasant ways for me. Not always. But when it happens it seems to come in a downpour.

In June, I chose a new Neurologist for myself. I researched all of my options as best as I could and chose a woman doctor who I had a very good feeling about, feeling that she was going to be the right doctor for me. I got my referral and set up an appointment 4 months out, because getting in to a Neurologist's office always takes months. I guess they are very busy people.

I asked them to put me on the cancellation list, hoping that I'd be able to get in to her office sooner, rather than later, knowing full well that I'd be on the bottom of the list so it might take a while. And so then I waited.

As summer progressed onward, I slowly moved up on the cancellation list. Neurology called three times offering me a sooner appointment but I was unable to accept the sooner appointments due to scheduling conflicts with other appointments or not having anyone available to drive me there, etc.

Then toward the end of summer vacation Neurology called again, offering me another early appointment. I was in a well child visit with my clones so I called back as soon as I could but the earlier appointment was already taken by someone else.

"That's okay," I said, "I'll just keep the appointment I have in October. Can I stay on the cancellation list?"

"Sure you can," the receptionist informs me. "BUT...the Neurologist you chose is going out on medical leave until January so you will have to see a different Neurologist in our practice."

I almost cried. This woman seemed like a perfect fit for me and I really didn't want to see anyone else. But what option do I have? So I made a new appointment with a doctor who is not the one I wanted to see, a month later than the one that just got cancelled.

I'm disappointed about this but I am trying to believe that it will be okay. Maybe it's for the best, I keep telling myself. I guess I won't know until I meet him.

Of course, this mess wasn't over. I got home to discover that, yet again, I double booked myself with appointments. I seem to have a habit of doing this. Clearly I need to buy myself a calendar, not only so I can be more organized but also so I can stop being the most annoying and idiotic patient. I feel as though I make a fool out of myself every single time I make an appointment with anyone. I'm constantly calling right back because I forgot to write down the date or time and have already forgotten it or because I discover I've double booked myself or because something changes in Mr. Amazing's schedule and I no longer have a ride, etc.

Frankly, it's embarrassing. But embarrassed or not, I keep making mistakes.

So I needed to fix the Neurology appointment I just made 20 minutes prior because I can't be in two doctor's offices at the same time. But the change moved me back another two weeks, into November.

Later that week they called again with another early appointment option. (Clearly I'm on the top of the list at this point, getting more than one call a week.) Naturally I accept this new appointment because I need to be seen by a Neurologist. My symptoms are not getting better. They are getting worse. The receptionist puts me in the schedule but then I remember Mr. Amazing telling me not to make an appointment on that day, so I have to correct myself.

"Oops. I'm sorry. I actually can't make it to that one."

The receptionist was irritated. She sighed. She told me to wait while she put me back on the November date. I asked her if I could stay on the cancellation list. She told me, "Sure but I have to put you back on it." Which means I am back on the bottom of the list making the chances of me getting called for a sooner appointment unlikely.

I guess I shouldn't worry about it. I haven't been able to accept any of the 5 times they've called me anyway.

But I'm left feeling like maybe I should just scrap this whole thing. I mean, really, what are the chances this Neurologist is going to be any more helpful than the last two? It all just feels like a big waste of time and money.

Comments