40th Birthday Poem



For me, the New Year starts
    in August
when the heat outside
    makes mirages on the pavement,
and there's an abundance of ripe food on the table
    fresh from the garden.


This year
    will mark the 40th trip I've taken
         around our sun.
And I'll be happy to be one year older.


But while everyone else
         plans out their dream trips
         and special events,
I am stuck wondering
    if I'll even be well
         when the day comes around.


Maybe it is understandable,
    the slight pangs of jealousy I feel
         whenever the others
         talk about their own birthday plans.
But even if it is understandable,
    that doesn't make it any easier
          to feel.


I am not jealous
    because I wish to travel
    or do something grand.
The jealousy is more because
    my life doesn't look the way I planned.


The jealousy is because
    I spend my life adjusting my expectations
         to fit a life I didn't ask for.
Every plan
    nothing more than a mirage
         on the horizon.


Still, I will go on
    subduing my longings
         just as I have
              for the past 7 years.
And I will make the best
    of my New Year,
         whatever that day brings.


But for right now,
    whenever someone else
         turns 40,
I'll be making space for myself
    to grieve
         everything I've lost
         and missed out on
         and had to give up
              while I find my way back
              to acceptance.



[This post was inspired by a prompt from illuminate, a monthly writing program dedicated to shining a light on the creative within and was originally published through Holl & Lane, now The Kindred Voice and can be found here: The Kindred Voice - My 40th Birthday

For more information about illuminate, visit: illuminate ]

Comments