This Way Toward Disaster

black and white photo of a circular labrynth with a woman standing between two walls
Photo by Maksym Kaharlytskyi on Unsplash

the thoughts that fill my mind

get me lost every time


i listen because

            she is incessant

            because

            ignoring her is impossible


her voice leads into a labyrinth

        where every turn is toward self-destruction

        turn right: find fear

        turn left: insecurity

        straight: unending grief

        behind: self-hate


the way out is blocked.


i stumble through the passages

        toward every dead-end

        my face tear-stained

        her voice a brutal attack

        against my core.


this path creates confusion

this one unmakes me

        shreds my self-respect

i have nothing left.


she makes me unwhole.


i have forgotten that in listening

        i need not believe

        i need not internalize

                every utterance as truth

but it's too late. i am

disoriented

unhinged


too far from home

    

This post was inspired by a monthly theme from illuminate, a writing community from the creators of The Kindred Voice

Read more on this month's theme, Lost, written by other illuminate members:

Can Anyone Really Be Lost? by Adeola Sheehy
Getting Lost in Motherhood by Christine Carpenter

Comments